Welcome to the website of the Pohnpei State Department of Education. This website has been created to make background and resource information
publicly available, and to provide information on PDOE
The Pohnpei State Department of Education offers instruction in grades K-12,
in 31 Elementary schools and 3 High schools. Early Childhood
Education is available in 22 of our Elementary schools.
In the 2007-2008 school year the Department of Education is providing
instruction to 556 students in Early Childhood Education, 8,112 students
in Elementary schools, and 2,713 High school students.
The Pohnpei State Department of Education believes that children are the center of education, education is the future of Pohnpei and DOE is the future of education, therefore our mission are:
- To provide an education system that will prepare and further the abilities of all pre-school to high school age pupils to be literate, well informed and responsible citizens.
- To mature our children's sense of cultural identity, self-esteem, confidence, creativity, friendliness, responsibility, high moral values, and deep appreciation of life and its many challenges.
- To form a cooperative partnership with parents, community members, traditional leaders and other government and non-government agencies, which supports the schools and communities.
- To develop programs and policies which reflect the changing needs of students, teachers, parents, and communities through open communication, training and workshops, periodic re-examination of curriculum, collaborative decision-making and an equitable distribution of funding
- To value, respect, and support local culture within each school
- To create public facilities which are accessible to all students including those with special needs.